I'll throw in a second Amen and add its easier to attack labor than to improve
the business
process. In some instances (not all) I think that investment in technology
suffers when there is
access to cheap labor (i.e. bodies are cheaper than technology).
Unfortunately, you will likely
not see much done about this because the injection of cheap labor is perceived
to raise
productivity and lower inflationary pressure. This is why Bernanke (Fed
Chairman) is Bullish on
productivity. As the economy slows you will hear about increased off-shoring
activity and every
quarter the economists will get together and marvel at how great the numbers
look on the hours
worked per employee (per week). Anyway, it could be that we are headed for a
recession followed by
another jobless recovery. Sorry, I digressed.

Vance

--- pnelson@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Well said, Tom. Amen.
--

Paul Nelson
Arbor Solutions, Inc.

"Tom Jedrzejewicz" <tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx>
06/12/2006 10:32 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [CPF0000] The globalization of COMMON,      or is this the right
direction?

In my opinion ..

1. The border needs to be sealed, not for xenophobic or economic
reasons, but rather for security reasons.

2. Immigration needs to be relatively open, but immigrants need to
follow the immigration rules, and should not be eligible for public
assistance for N years, where N is something larger than 10.  The
employment laws should be enforced rigorously, and the employer
penalties should be draconian.

3. It is nonsensical to regulate outsourcing and offshoring, but the
tax laws and unemployment insurance systems should not subsidize it.
Companies should not be able to write off charges related to
offshoring, and companies should be required to reimburse the
unemployment insurance system for costs related to offshoring jobs.

4. This is a classic situation where the macro- and micro-economic
analyses lead to different solutions.  There are winners and losers
all around, and good people suffer through no fault of their own.  The
biggest issue I have with offshoring is that it violates the unspoken,
unofficial employment agreement -- that if the company is succeeding
and I am doing my job, my job is secure.  The secondary issue I have
with it is that it usually comes from management laziness -- rather
than do the work to fix the issues, I take the quick fix and offshore.

And finally, back to the issue that started this thread  ... the
candidate may be the greatest guy in the world, but I don't see how a
non-Indian Common member can support someone who is actively trying to
get him or her laid off and his/her job sent to India.  The
rights/wrongs and economics are one thing, but rational self interest
dictates that increasing the influence of an offshore outsourcer is
not a wise move.