one problem maybe explained - the 37 CCSID file used a reference file
that is a PF38, which is a 37 too.

but I have a new problem - the file without the reference file, but
the one that was created with clean new dds, got created with CCSID
65535?

I think I ran into this problem before, and I think it was because the
system value for QCCSID was set to 65535, and I thought I changed it a
few years ago.  Well, it's sitting at 65535 again, and I didn't change
it.

Is there anyway to tell when the last time that system value was
changed?  I compiled a file last friday, and that file is CCSID 37.

gosh, i'm so confused....