Scott Klement wrote:

Now I'm REALLY confused.  The link you provided earlier in the thread
points to a C language example.  That example is supposed to demonstrate
the following (this is a quote from the Information Center):

Hi Scott,

I'm really confused now too.  I obviously never read that whole page
carefully enough.

I guess you might be saying that 0-2 must be open, but there's no easy way
to detect it?  So you just open 3 FDs and if they're 0-2, great they'll be
used, if not you haven't done any harm by opening a few extra FDs?

You can probably tell that I don't really know more than anyone else on
this list about how these descriptors are used ...  I don't know the
internals of either Java or I/O.  I found out about this magic
incantation of opening three descriptors while investigating a customer
problem, and the Java folks pointed me to this solution.  I probably
should have questioned it more at the time ...