Nathan,

I don't think having the right software loaded will still allow you to
continue to create a multimember file using DDS and expect to have the
benefits of SQL.  There were some options on the create table statement
that I posted, like how to determine which member to put new rows in.  For
example, like separating automatically rows into members based on the year
of a date field.

I also think your statement about DDS being easier to read and work with
than DDL may be subjective.  Like, it may be for someone with a DDS
background, but would it necessarily be so for someone with a SQL
background?

One of the biggest complaints I have about DDS is that since many
constraint capabilities are not built in and must be included in a MAKE
script, that most developers just won't use them.  I think developers
would be more likely to put a constraint on a file if they can simply
CREATE TABLE ROB/ITEM
  (ITEMNBR CHAR (15 ) NOT NULL,
   CLASS CHAR (2 ) NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (ITEMNBR),
  FOREIGN KEY (CLASS) REFERENCES ROB/ITEMCLASS (CLASS)
   ON DELETE NO ACTION
   ON UPDATE NO ACTION)
Versus compiling DDS and then having to have their MAKE script do the two
ADDPFCST's.