Big Question:  What version of OS?

Because you can create and manipulate multimember files with SQL now.  The
big difference in concept is that you use a key to determine which member
to store the record in.  In times past that was considered a waste of
space and that the member name should be good enough.  However, newer
versions of OS call these multimember tables as "partitioned tables"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/dbmult/partitionedtables.htm

CREATE TABLE ROB/HELGREN
(TRANDATE DATE NOT NULL,
SOMEDATA CHAR (5 ) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)
PARTITION BY RANGE(TRANDATE)
 (STARTING('1995-01-01') ENDING('2010-12-31') EVERY(1 YEAR))

"You must have DB2 Multisystem installed" on your iSeries server in order
to take advantage of partitioned tables support. There are, however, some
important differences between DB2 Multisystem and partitioning. DB2
Multisystem provides two ways to partition your data:
You can create a distributed table to distribute your data across several
iSeries systems or logical partitions.
You can create a partitioned table to partition your data into several
members in the same database table on one system.
In both cases, you access the table as if it were not partitioned at all.

Another example of partitioning:  Each system could be a geographical
location.  A key to that file could be the location.  DB2 would
automatically store the row on the right table.