An iASP MIGHT help because it separates the I/Os for the virtual tape
from the rest of the database. This was the recommendation at COMMON
from the Save/Restore gurus. You have to be careful with this because
you have to make sure that the iASP has enough disk arms to support the
I/O rates. Before you ask, nothing has been published yet that I've seen
to figure out the correct configuration.

Last week I was talking with a couple of folks from IBM's Advanced
Technical Support and they disagree with this recommendation. Their
feeling is that spreading the I/Os across all the drives in the system
would perform better.

In other words, at this point in time I think the support is too new to
really understand the right way to setup virtual tape.

Kendall Kinnear
System i5 Architect
Stonebridge

Direct Telephone Number: 972.419.7709
Or Toll Free:  800.776.9755 x7709
Cell Phone Number:  214-676-3146
Fax Number:  972.455.7260
Kendall.Kinnear@xxxxxxxx
http://www.SBTI.com/
If you are interested in iSeries and application development, follow
Angus' blog at http://www.angustheitchap.com/