Glenn and Kendall are right on. Get your renewals in on time and verify the information is accurate BEFORE you need to call for real maintenance

One sage word of advice: If you are going to use the phone for support have documentation that includes all the important stuff on it ready for when you need to call. Now here is THE one and single MOST important piece: The PHONE NUMBER at which the equipment is registered at. Yes it would seem that your CUSTOMER number would be useful but not a whit. Your Machine type and serial number should also be handy but unfortunately not until later in the process AFTER they have figured out who you are. Occasionally your company name is useful but ONLY if you know EXACTLY how it's entered in IBM's database. For example I do work for a customer known as MC Sporting Goods. How wuz I to know that their company is in IBMs database as Michigan Sporting Goods. As you can imagine, no amount of searching was of any use whatever attempting to track this down. I spent 30 minutes one time going down a monster list of phone numbers and the lady on the other end was fit to be tied but we finally found one that rang up to the correct customer!

So here is the magical and somewhat baffling secret. OPEN YOUR PROBLEMS ON THE WEB! Now you may wonder why this would help or how it can be fast enough but Try it and you will be baffled yourself. You fill in whatever you know and the apparently very intelligent folks on the other end figure out who you are and call you back often within just minutes! How they get notified, bring up the record, find you and call you up more quickly than the folks on the phone can figure out who you are, well who cares!

 - Larry

Kendall Kinnear wrote:
I fully agree with Glenn. Usually these problems occur when:

- You've bought used equipment

- You've bought equipment through multiple business partners

- You've waited to the last minute to renew your maintenance.

- The Business Partner/Distributer/IBM dropped the ball on the paperwork

Some Business Partners offer a service to review and consolidate all your
maintenance into one contract under one customer number. This usually works
pretty well but be patient and checked the equipment list on the contract
closely. I've personally seen cases where the correct information was submitted
but was dropped when the contract was created by IBM. It has quite literally
taken three or four passes to get the list or equipment correct. Also be
patient. As Glenn said, there does not appear to be a connection between the
order system and maintenance systems at IBM. Keep the paperwork and ask to
speak to Entitlement and the Duty Manager if the call taker isn't being helpful.

Kendall Kinnear
System i5 Architect
Stonebridge

Direct Telephone Number: 972.419.7709