From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Corbett
Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:59 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: crtdup->qtemp,ovrdbf at V5R1 DON'T WORK (as expected)

Hi all,

Ok, this is a weird one.

First, I'm running at V5R1, Cum 4300 (latest, I believe), Infinium PL.
Yeah, I know, I'm campaigning DAILY to get an OS upgrade, I've ALWAYS
skipped xxR1 altogether, after 2.1 at least.

The program creates a report and optionally a download file, copies it to
csv format in an ifs directory.

Here's what I'd like to do:

Either do it via QCMDEXC in the program OR call to CL (I've tried it both
ways, same results).

Here's the problem, I've beaten it to death.  The "standard" suggestions
have been covered, I'm pretty sure.

IF I let the program do the F-Spec OPEN on the "download" file (in a
production library) to be copied to csv format, it works fine.

IF I "do it right" and dup the file into QTEMP, do the OVRDBF, then OPEN the
file in the program, it chops off the last few records.  I've run debug and
WATCHED it execute the write for the "lost" records but they're not there at
pgm end.  I've tried FRCRATIO(1) on the override.

It's not the CPYTOIMPF, I've copied the data file to another library and
looked at it, still chopping off records.

Same results in calling a CL or doing the commands in the program.

Same results if I let the program open the file, close it, do the overrides
(or call a CL), then open the file again.

If I let the program use the "real" file in the production library, it works
fine and does not drop any records.

It's Infinium, so I haven't figured out how to "slip" a CL in to call the
RPG program.doing the CRTDUP and OVR before calling the program would
probably work.

Has anyone else run into weird things like this at V5R1??

TIA

William A.(Tony) Corbett

IBM Certified - AS/400 Developer

http://www.asresources.com