Dale,

You have to remember that the IFS is not only the part that contains the
PC/Unix-like files. The IFS stands for Integrated File System and
contains ALL the file systems that the OS/400 can use. So, in this case,
QSYS, QDLS (ugh!) and, of course, the PC/Unix-like files and objects are
part of the IFS.

As per which Backup strategy this, of course, depends of the
characteristics and requirements of both, your business and equipment,
but I have always found a good reference in the Backup section of the
Infocenter. Depending on which version you are, check under Systems
Management --> Backup, recovery and availability --> Planning a backup
and recovery strategy.

Please be aware that, as important as having a good backup strategy is
having a good recovery strategy. Backup without recovery is meaningless.

Best Regards,

Luis Rodriguez

> ------------------------------
>
> message: 3 date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:55:19 -0400 from: dale janus
> <dalejanus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> subject: RE: SAVLIB LIB(*ALLUSER)
>
> Charles and Luis,
>
> Thanks for your help with saving the IFS.  I may end up using a
> savefile in the end.
>
> I don't have any remote Iseries (or AS/400's or System i's) attached,
> so I can skip Qfilesrv.400 and the other things you both have
> suggested.
>
> I have only been concerned with the NETSEVER part of the IFS, so I
> didn't realize that QOPT was the CD drive.  Interesting (but logical)
> that is also considered part of the IFS, as well as QSYS.LIB.  .  As a
> one man shop, I spend too much time putting out fires and not enought
> time  digging into stuff I need to learn more about.
>
> I am playing around with the SAVACT parm to see what the different
> results are. So far, I have discovered that  it does not matter if I
> use *YES, or *NO(removing the parameter to take the default of *NO),
> it prevents my mail server from sending mail.  That is not good and
> prevents me from testing during the work day.
>
> I guess it's time to do a little work on figuring out  the correct
> backup strategy for me.
>
> ---Dale

Luis Rodriguez
IBM Certified Systems Expert