Isn't that 'mechanism' a registry of objects?  We have modules and service
programs that perform many almost atomic functions but finding the ones that
will do what you need quickly is a problem.  It's not just naming
conventions, it's available parameters; desired output; and
specialization...and finding the particular components that will help you
build the information you need from the data you have.  In that sense, CASE
was the right tool at the wrong time.  I've built a system to register our
modules and service routines to make it easier to find building blocks based
on category and function and it sure does boil down to a subset of a CASE
tool.

Another problem is knowing when to stop!  Perhaps there are articles that
define this better but that question is always an issue when modularizing
components.  There's a line somewhere between what is functionally
necessary, what is necessary for the business, what is necessary for the
data storage and information gathering, etc.  The line extends through the
programming staff because many want to write a program that completes a
request instead of writing or picking modules that complete a request.

But that's a different problem...back to knowing when to stop; how much
information should be returned in a single request?  How specialized should
a request server be?  Sounds like easy questions but in practice, even after
careful analysis, there are always those requests that don't fit the mold of
many standards that are attempted.  So then write even smaller pieces and
fit them together?  Back to CASE we go then?  Or back half way at
least...especially if we're able to think in terms of unlimited machine
time.

bill