Eric,

You are absolutely right about the previous attempts on the subject. They usually had a good start but soon ended up nowhere, which was the main reason of my being frustrated trying to get to the bottom of the issue.

It looks like we are in a similar position where we would like to get some reaction from the community (ie, from the inside) as opposed to simply get the IBM provided roadmap and start "modernizing" applications a la Websphere sauce.

I share your views on SOA and at this stage I can only try to compile and later contemplate all the possible options we could go for (the frustrating part being the inability to gather a full and exhaustive set of necessary elements in order to get to a conclusion in terms of design.)

Whoever feels like Eric and myself, please do join in and maybe we can get started on "these waters" and find the appropriate "guidance" as Eric so rightly puts it. There must be a way in designing the ideal n-tier RPG application,that's a sure thing. My personal view is that it can only come from within the community and I hope we will all be able to share our personal attempts to try to get to a point where a "best practice" way of doing thing will prevail.

G4!

DeLong, Eric wrote:

I'm not too sure that a comprehensive discussion on design & architecture
has really occurred.  Lots of teasers, but not a lot of meat and potatoes...
It's my opinion that choice of architecture is mostly influenced by the
choice of tools that are available to the application designer and/or
developer.
IBM is steering the iSeries into SOA, which gives us a LOT of flexibility in
terms of deployment.  I don't know as much about SOA as I'd like...  I
believe that well designed ILE applications can easily be deployed via SOA
to extend the reach of our applications.  I also believe that most iSeries
software is poorly designed for deployment via SOA.  As I recall, there were
some useful discussions of MVC (Model-View-Controller) designs that are
probably on target for this topic.  Careful design of the underlying APIs
(ie, remove pop-up screens, error handling, etc.)

I hesitate to say much more, since I'm testing these waters too...  I still
have too much to learn, and nobody to guide...  I'll find any discussion on
these topics helpful.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)