Trevor

Trevor Perry wrote:
Rob,

If you read enough of my words to think I am "bigotted", then you should know that I am also advocating replacing green screen data entry with a more modern and automated process.
You have just proved my point - you insist that green screen should be replaced with a more modern process which as I understand it must be graphical and include the use of a mouse which we must constantly touch. You will not consider the possibility that for some (many?) tasks green screen is best for purpose. You will not allow anyone else to have a different point of view from yours.
Therefore, your argument about heads down data entry is moot.

And, whether I like what I read or not, Midrange-L is a discussion forum. Unfortunately, that tends to lend itself to a bunch of whining, and if you have not noticed, most of the whining is NOT accepting of multiple views.
Well you don't seem to accept multiple view points
Glad you decided to throw stones from the sidelines.
Not sure what you mean, but I do develop software in a variety of areas. If you think that AI is sideline, or web development are sidelines, fine.
 Welcome to the debate.

Trevor

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Dixon"
Subject: Re: The Perpetual Myth of iSeries Obsolescence

Trevor

Trevor Perry wrote:
Again, I think this is very misguided..
Well - that is your viewpoint.  Without doubt the mouse has its place,
particularly for graphics, but for situations such as that described by
Duane, it is very unproductive.  It is easy to believe that because your
hands are busy that they are being efficient.  For heads down data
entry, your hands should rarely need to leave the keyboard.  For causal
enquiries, there is a place for the mouse for irregular users of the
system who are used to point and click, but for speed, the keyboard and
function keys are much quicker.
 A mouse was designed to be
productive, and it can be. Using words like "I should never have to touch
the mouse" are words that help keep us in the past.

Sometimes I wonder why people think the System i is "outdated". Then, I read
Midrange-L and I know why...

Perhaps the other posters are less bigotted and prepared to accept
multiple points of view.  If you don't like what you read ....
Modernize your skills, then maybe we can use the System i in a modern way.
Then watch the pretenders come running....