On 5/3/06, Douglas W. Palme <dpalme@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Without wanting to sound as if I am completely negative, I could not
disagree with you more.
...  more time is wasted playing with the g-d forsaken mouse and
clicking on buttons than anything else I have ever seen.
... users like to play and with a green screen (...) we have far
little of those issues and a hell of a lot more productivity.
... it has to do with the fact there are no graphics and colorful
screens and browsers, etc.

Initially, it sounded as if you don't like GUI is because of solitaire
and web-browsing.  Both are relatively easy to eliminate, so there
must be more to it.  Do you disagree with the assertion that a GUI
application is more intuitive and easier to train?

My view is that the GUI offers more opportunity to make an application
powerful, intuitive  and productive, because of color and object
sizing, because of pictures, because of the lack of state/mode
restrictions, and because of hyperlinking.  I think that the amount of
research and writing done about UI design is staggering, which will
lead to better apps.

Consider amazon.com; arguably their order entry app is as complex as
any green screen order entry app, and they have millions of users on
it daily.  Would that be possible if the interface was green screen?

I also think that whether you or I is correct is irrelevant.  The
world has made the decision for us; graphical UI is how things need to
work.  The green screen world is shrinking, and sooner or later a
developer without gui experience is going to be unemployable.

Take care

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx