I print to file using IBM AFP 300.  I also choose to use the Overlay and
not "Meduim".

Then I use a BAT routine to execute a FTP script to upload the print file
to a physical file on the AS/400.

BAT routine consists of only this...

ftp -s:send_ftp.ftp >ftp.log

FTP script contains this.

OPEN AS400
USERNAME
PASSWORD
BIN
PUT CUOIENF.prn HRCSTFA/AFPRES.CUOIENF
PUT CUOIENF2.prn HRCSTFA/AFPRES.CUOIENF2
QUOTE RCMD CRTOVL OVL(HRCUST/CUOIENF) FILE(HRCSTFA/AFPRES) MBR(CUOIENF)
TEXT('AENTA ENROLLMENT FORM, FRONT PAGE')
QUOTE RCMD CRTOVL OVL(HRCUST/CUOIENF2) FILE(HRCSTFA/AFPRES) MBR(CUOIENF2)
TEXT('AENTA ENROLLMENT FORM, BACK PAGE')
CLOSE
QUIT

We used this command to create AFPRES on the AS/400.
CRTPF FILE([your_library]/AFPRES) RCDLEN(32766) MAXMBRS(*NOMAX) LVLCHK(*NO)

Michael Schutte

             daparnin@niscosea
             ls.com
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             05/03/2006 09:29          Distorted Overlays
             AM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I've created overlays in the past from Microsoft Word using IBM's AFP
printer driver with the output type set to "medium overlay" and they've
worked pretty good.  Yesterday I tried creating one and the vertical lines
are sometimes where they should be and other times off a bit.  In other
words, what should be a vertical line has a section in the middle that's
too far to the left or right.  The Word document is a big table laid out
like a form.  The lines are the edges of the table cells.  Some are set to
print and others aren't, thus making the boxes of the form.  They look fine
when printed from word but once converted to an overlay they are distorted.

To create it I print to a file using the IBM 240 driver.  I copy it to a
folder in QDLS (yea, it's the old way of doing it but it's the way that's
always worked).  Next, a CPYFRMPCD to get it into a physical file.
Finally, a CRTOVL.  The overlay is assigned to a printer file and the spool
file is generated.

Since I made my last overlay we've upgraded from V5R1 to V5R3 on the
iSeries and gone from Office 97 to Office 2003 on the PC.  It is running
Windows 2000.  Any ideas?  We are a couple months behind on PTF's but will
get current this weekend.  I did try downloading the latest 240 driver from
IBM but it didn't help.  Any ideas?

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company