From: Jones, John (US) [mailto:John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 11:48 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: The Perpetual Myth of iSeries Obsolescence

>Minor nit: The Windows GUI originated as a graphical shell on top of a
>command-line driven OS.  Whether you want to say it originated with DOS
>or NT doesn't matter.

that might have been TopView, which was an IBM product.  Windows was GUI based
and had little to do with DOS from day 1. I know the win32 APIs of windows 3.1
were DLL based. Not sure what earlier versions of windows looked like to the
programmer, but I doubt the method of using software interupts to call into DOS
was ever used in Windows.

MSFT gets hit for creating Windows as a copy of the Mac. I am reading a
terrific book on Bill Gates and MSFT [1] and it says MSFT people were deeply
involved from day1 in the development of the MAC user interface. Push button
controls were a MSFT invention for example.

-Steve

[1]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671880748/sr=1-2/qid=1146241079/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-1271083-1171034?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=books