I agree with you on most things, Trevor, and I agree that we have to live with what we get, which is System i. Google is busted, IBM Infocenter is busted, my business cards and brochures are busted yet again, and no brand or nameplate identity is gained.

GM makes Buicks, Chevrolets, Pontiacs, GMC trucks, and more. These brand names are a century old, more or less. The name plates like Le Sabre, Caprice, El Dorado, and Mustang have 20+ year lives and are even recycled. (Man do I want a new T-Bird!) This is the paradigm that builds brand loyalty and name recognition. In 35 years the midrange has had a bunch of brand name changes. Lets see; Sys/3, Sys/32, Sys/34, Sys/36, Sys/38, AS/400, and 3 more bland and forgettable names. What ever else it is or isn't, it clearly is a marketing blunder perpetrated for several generations. Why the sales people have not taken the marketing people for a ride in the country is beyond me.

Trevor Perry wrote:
Joe,

If you used the FAMILY name (System i), you would not have to change the name for some time to come!

Trevor

P.S. The System i includes your iSeries, the i5, the AS/400 and the soon to be i6...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Pluta"
Subject: The Perpetual Myth of iSeries Obsolescence

The iSeries supports pretty much every character set available.  Certainly
as many as your standard Windows/*nix box.

The QSYS library system is the only file system that has the 10 character
limit, and that's frankly all a business system needs. Long directory/path
structures are needed for text-file-based operating systems that are
fconfigured with thousands of little files, as opposed to an OS with an
integrated database.

But in any case, the iSeries supports long file names just fine in the IFS.

The fact that the iSeries supports all those technologies IN ADDITION TO all
the technologies offered by other operating systems is a benefit, not a
disadvantage.

Joe

P.S. I should start a cult: The Church of the Perpetual Myth of iSeries
Obsolescence.  I'd have to rename it every time IBM renamed the box, but
that might actually be helpful from a tax (evasion) standpoint.