Dave

Spooled file security is a bit of a challenge and can be murky. Here are a
couple items from InfoCenter on this:

Spooled file security
Spooled security is primarily controlled through the output queue that contains
the spooled files. In general, there are four ways that a user can become
authorized to control a spooled file (for example, hold or release the spooled
file):
User is assigned spool control authority (SPCAUT(*SPLCTL)) in the user profile.
This authority gives a user control of all spooled files in the output queues
of all libraries to which the the user has *EXECUTE authority. This authority
should only be granted to appropriate users.
User is assigned job control authority (SPCAUT(*JOBCTL)) in the user profile,
the output queue is operator-controlled (OPRCTL(*YES)), and the user has
*EXECUTE authority to the library that the output queue is in.
User has the required object authority for the output queue. The required
object authority is specified by the AUTCHK parameter on the CRTOUTQ command. A
value of *OWNER indicates that only the owner of the output queue is authorized
to control all the spooled files on the output queue. A value of *DTAAUT
indicates that users with *CHANGE authority to the output queue are authorized
to control all the spooled files on the output queue.
Note:
The specific authorities required for *DTAAUT are *READ, *ADD, and *DLT data
authorities.
A user is always allowed to control the spooled files created by that user.
For the Copy Spooled File (CPYSPLF), Display Spooled File (DSPSPLF), and Send
Network Spooled File (SNDNETSPLF) commands, in addition to the four ways
already listed, there is an additional way a user can be authorized.
If DSPDTA(*YES) was specified when the output queue was created, any user with
*USE authority to the output queue is allowed to copy, display, send, or move
spooled files. The specific authority required is *READ data authority.
If the user is authorized to control the file by one of the four ways already
listed above, using DSPDTA(*NO) when creating the output queue will not
restrict the user from displaying, copying, or sending the file. DSPDTA
authority is only checked if the user is not otherwise authorized to the file.
DSPDTA(*OWNER) is more restrictive than DSPDTA(*NO). If the output queue is
created with DSPDTA(*OWNER), only the owner of the spooled file (the person who
created it) or a user with SPCAUT(*SPLCTL) may display, copy, or send a file on
that queue. Even users with SPCAUT(*JOBCTL) on an operator-controlled
(OPRCTL(*YES)) output queue cannot display, copy, move, or send spooled files
they do not own.
See the Security topic for details about the authority requirements for
individual commands.
To place a spooled file on an output queue, one of the following authorities is
required:
Spool control authority (SPCAUT(*SPLCTL)) in the user profile. The user must
also have the *EXECUTE authority to the library that the output queue is in.
This authority gives a user control of all spooled files on the system and
should only be granted to appropriate users. If you have spool control
authority you can delete, move, hold, and release any spooled files on the
system. You can also change the attributes of any spooled file.
Job control authority (SPCAUT(*JOBCTL)) in the user profile and the output
queue is operator-controlled (OPRCTL(*YES)). The user must also have the
*EXECUTE authority to the library that the output queue is in.
*READ authority to the output queue. This authority can be given to the public
by specifying AUT(*USE) on the CRTOUTQ command.
Output queue security
Output queues are created with a level of security determined by the value of
the AUT parameter on the Create Output Queue (CRTOUTQ) command. To work with
the spooled files on that output queue, you must have the appropriate authority
for that output queue (as specified in the AUT parameter). For example, holding
or releasing a spooled file might require one level of authority while reading
the contents of that spooled file might require a higher level of authority.
For more information on spooled file and output queue security, see the
"Security" topic.

Then there is _Tips and Tools for Securing Your iSeries_, located at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/books/sc415300.pdf

Page 59 has a little bit that points to Appendix D of _iSeries Security
Reference_.

HTH
Vern
From: "Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>