Colin, the batteries being discussed are on the DASD controller.

Since the controllers have a write cache, you'd face serious corruption
issues if the power failed prior to flushing the cache to disk.

Thus, the reason the system turns off the cache when the battery reaches
its end of life.  Not having the cache turned on causes the performance
degradation people will notice.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343