Jake:

See:
    http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/code/misccode/sqlcode/
and:
    http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/resources/code/shareware/rtvcatlist_isn.cfm
or
    http://www.as400pro.com/servlet/sql.tipView?key=159&category=SQL

for several related alternatives.  The idea is to create a "generic" *QMQRY
that consists entirely of parameters (e.g. &P1 &P2 &P3 etc.) and that you can
run via the STRQMQRY command, passing the entire desired SQL statement as
"parameters"...

So, for example, in your CL program, it might look something like this ...

    PGM    PARM(&PARM1)
    DCL    &PARM1 *CHAR 10
    DCL &SQL *CHAR 500
    CHGVAR VAR(&SQL) VALUE('SELECT CSTNUM,  CSNAME,  CSADD1, +
        CSADD2, CSCTST, CSZIP FROM MYLIB.CSTMST WHERE CSTNUM = ''' +
        *CAT &PARM1 *CAT '''')
    RUNSQL STMT(&SQL)
    RETURN
    ENDPGM

I have seen some variations of the above RUNSQL command that can create an
*OUTFILE containing the results, which you could then DCLF and RCVF row-by-row
in your CL *PGM,
e.g. if you are running a SELECT and want to read the results-set.

Hope that helps ...

Mark S. Waterbury