Tom,

I agree with David about SCM products being geared toward bigger shops.

However, I also agree with David about the value of a SCM product in
smaller shops.  Heck, at my prior place of employment, we used Aldon's
CMS and it was basically a one man shop.  Aldon made my life much easier
and more productive.

In addition, you may find that the SCM vendors are willing to work with
you on the price for a small shop.  For instance, when I installed Aldon
at my prior employer, instead of paying to have somebody from Aldon come
out to help install and train, we paid for X number of hours for phone
consultation.

If I were you, I'd start out by contacting the big 3:
Aldon
MKS
Softlanding

You should be able to the SCM software to install on a trial basis from
all of them.

Then just dig in and see which product meets your needs at a cost you
live with.  Be sure you look at all aspects of the product, green screen
iSeries, WDSC iSeries, and PC development.

Have fun!

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343