Well, Eric, You are not alone.  Other than a little bit politically
incorrect, I think your ranting is justifiable.

Using ROI/Risk as a reason to discourage some of the most basic thing
that a developer needs to do is just ... (not sure what word should I
used).

To give a real world example:
- It took one of the developer (who has left the company) almost two
years to get approval to use service program in our shop.
- Why it took so long to get this new technology (which is probably more
than 10 years old by the time it got approved) approve?
1) Management needs prove and more prove of the benefits of using
service program.
2) Management needs revises and more revises on standard to create
service program.
3) Management worries about in the middle of the night when a program
error out, the on call program might not know how service program work
and delay the time is required to correct the problem.

I understand that ROI is necessary when implement new/different
technology.  I'm not sure if it apply in this case.