Hi Dave

The CL connection came from the original post, where the person was trying to
do this in a CL program. I'm with you on the use of REXX on its own - and IBM
has even made it an option as the command processor for CL commands - that is
actually a very cool way to use it - parsing command parameters in REXX is a
dream compared to CL.

But I have to admit to being a little stuck in the CL-RPG world of compiled
languages. You are nudging me a bit, and I want to explore further. Doing
STRREXPRC _repeatedly_ from a CL is a losing proposition, however - have tried
it, a real dog. But that is probably not the best use of it, as you showed.

Your experience is different from most iSeries folks, as you and I have
discussed. So your comment about REXX not being an esoteric language will
strike iSeries developers as a bit odd, I think. You are probably right - it is
de rigueur on the mainframe and possibly in OS/2. It was even the basis of the
macro language in CODE, the predecessor to WDSC and RSE. IIRC. (Could be wrong
there).

One man's esoteric is another man's everyday. You can quote me!   ;-)

Also, as we make commercial products, it might not be the best direction here,
as per your last comments about large apps.

Thanks
Vern

From: "Dave Odom" <Dave.Odom@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Vern & Scott,