Vern & Scott,

Scott,  Understand.   Just trying to suggest an alternative in the
future where REXX is the better tool than CL.   Yep, it would take a
little to learn; like any full blown language, but not too much to get
you productive with some utilities.  There are numerous tutorials and
books out there on REXX, since the language has been around for decades,
if you ever want to learn.   What I find is, learn a little at a time
using some code that's already built and can be easily modified to do a
job you need.

Have written for American Programmer and various articles before.
Enjoy writing (as if you couldn't tell) if the writing is for something
I'm interested in and doesn't become a chore.    Please tell me more
about your writing offer; for what pub, free or for fee (I assume free),
who's the editor, what size articles, etc., etc., etc.

Vern,

Wasn't suggesting using CL at all.   Perhaps I didn't understand the
whole picture but didn't see CL in the picture.    Since I don't usually
CALL REXX from CL or the other way round, I don't see the overhead.
Perhaps I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I do whatever I can in REXX because its more powerful, simpler and the
development turn around is quicker than other System i5 languages since
there is no compiling, just code and run using PDM.  If it doesn't work,
you see your mistakes on your screen; no looking in a job log in most
cases.   Hit enter, edit the file again, make your changes, F3 out and
16 and see if it works.

Not saying REXX is the end-all, be-all but haven't found much I can't
do on the System i5 yet and the performance is great.   Plus you can use
the skill on other IBM platforms since its an SAA language.  Plus, since
REXX is sorta-kinda like other modern free form languages, if you know
REXX, your transition to those other modern free form languages (good
for your resume) won't be as great a leap as from CL or RPG.   I've seen
entire apps, (IIRC, an example is IBMs time card system (TOTALS), done
in REXX, running on VM.   However, they may have moved it to a different
platform now. I've programmed in many languages, even RPG, but like to
use non-esoteric and cross-platform tools if at all possible.

Now, I'll admit, if I was doing a large app like A/R, A/P, CRM,
manufacturing shop floor control, inventory, etc. I'd use a compiled
language where ever possible.

Take care,

Dave