On 4/13/06, James H H Lampert <jamesl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Except that the Java application, at least in theory,
> isn't going anywhere near the box's own SMTP server; it's
> using JavaMail to (again, at least in theory) contact the
> outside mail server directly. So why would QGATE even be
> involved in the bounce?

The JavaMail examples I have seen show it programmed to relay through the
onboard SMTP server.  Are you sure that it is set otherwise?

If the mail server were still a dedicated machine, then
> yes, presumably we could move it inside the firewall, and
> configure it and/or the firewall so that the web-mail
> shows up from the outside on (say) Port 8080. I've seen
> that before. Unfortunately, for the moment, our mail
> server is running on a box that, for various other reasons
> to which I'm not privy, has to live outside the firewall.

 They are living dangerously ...

And as to the rest, you seem to be under the impression
> that there's somebody here who actually knows what he/she
> is doing with regard to email configuration. There is no
> "system administrator"; there's just me, maybe either or
> both of the other programmers, and the boss, trying to get
> this thing working. Database access utilities we know.
> eCRM we know. Java-client-to-ILE-mixed-language-server we
> know. Terminal emulation we know. If pressed, I can even
> make API calls, either OS/400 or JavaMail, to send email
> programmatically. But with this verstenken mess, we're out
> of our depth.

They are living even more dangerously.  Change Exchange to relay from the
iSeries .. they are going to have even more trouble setting up the iSeries
and the firewall to allow mail out from the iSeries directly.  They may have
to setup NAT for the iSeries on the firewall.  Look at the Linksys manual;
it is pretty straight-forward.

Good luck!

--
Tom Jedrzejewicz