They can't use iOS, Cisco already has it locked up for there router OS
name.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kendall Kinnear
Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 9:26 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Did we have another name change?

Ron,

I have agreed with you and I did rant on this recently on
angustheitchap.com. I believe IBM has gotten the message. I for one can
live with System i, p, z and x for family names. This would be similar
to when we had System/3x and under that we had the 3, 32, 34, 36 and 38.
That would tie in with i5, i6, i7, etc. At least I hope that is what
IBM's thinking; obviously the ones after i5 are guesses. I know applying
logic to anything IBM does can be an exercise in frustration but maybe
we will get lucky this time.

I just wish they'd also make the operating system i/OS instead of i5/OS.
The i5 infers that they will have to change the name of the OS again
when the POWER6 processors come out. As we move into the future it isn't
the hardware that makes our favorite system unique, it is the operating
system. The hardware doesn't make any difference by itself. Putting the
unique OS onto the common hardware gives us the System i with all the
power and capabilities we love.

Kendall Kinnear
System i5 Architect
Stonebridge

Direct Telephone Number: 972.419.7709
Or Toll Free:  800.776.9755 x7709
Cell Phone Number:  214-676-3146
Fax Number:  972.455.7260
Kendall.Kinnear@xxxxxxxx
http://www.SBTI.com/
If you are interested in iSeries and application development, follow
Angus' blog at http://www.angustheitchap.com/