Good evening,

SOX is much broader than fraud and theft, in my opinion ....
and it must be to protect shareholders.

Yes, it is true that Congress acted in response to the outrage born
from the acute fraud/theft at two major enterprises that failed to
provoke external audit warnings. But the impetus for the legislation
did not end up defining what SOX became. That definition was created
by the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB - or
"Peek-a-Boo") that was empowered by Congress to interpret the
requirements of the legislation .... much like the IRS is empowered to
interpret tax legislation and does so by creating endless pages of
regulations.

An executive overview of what PCAOB ended up doing is reported here:
          http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/pcaob/source/1.html

Interestingly enough, after reading all 216 pages of SOX regulations
authored by PCAOB, the only three practical illustrations I found
directed auditor's attention to an infinitesimal level of internal control
detail (see the URL) that had nothing to do with either fraud or theft ...
rather, the focus was on world class business practice.

    By the way, I couldn't find the word "computer" in the PCAOB
    material ... I think the big emphasis on computers was invented by
    external auditors as a billing expansion strategy.

Now ... brace yourself for a strongly held opinion. If you added up all the
theft at Enron + Worldcom + Parmalat + other headline disasters, the value
of the losses would be very small (maybe trivial) relative to the losses
suffered by shareholders every year due to poor business practice. That's
what PCAOB is targeting and, if anyone pays attention, that shall be a far
better protection for shareholders.

Permit me to express a comment based on personal observations in a
broad variety of industries located around the world:

   There is what I would call a pervasive (not universal)
   "myth of business competence."

   I have seen very hard working, involved, motivated, loyal employees
   at all corporate levels in big and small companies who don't
   understand the distinctions between what they are doing and
   world class business practice.

     +> The cost of those distinctions is staggering.
     +> Senior management attention to the distinctions is unlikely.
     +> The budget to address those distinctions is generally non-existent.

So, now Congress and Peek-a-Boo are relying on external auditors to find
and disclose the distinctions.

   Here comes another strongly-held point of view: with a notable early 90's
   exception at AA in Argentina, the external auditors I've personally
   worked with aren't up to the task ... and that includes the recent college
   grads walking around with questionnaires on clip-boards right on up to
   the partners. I refer to that as the "myth of auditing competence."

Net point: shareholders have much more to worry about than theft/fraud
and, sadly, the paucity of SOX comments in annual report audit letters
suggests that the "myth of business competence" remains alive and well
despite the PCAOB regulations.

Warm regards,

Milt Habeck
Founder/President