Hi Birgitta,

Unfortunately, it appears that SQL does not pass a minimal operational descriptor, so %parms is "unreliable" (the quote is from the RPGLE Reference manual) -- actually debug showed it to be reliably -1 <grin>. I ended up having two uniquely named procedures in the service program, but the same name for the UDF.

*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050
pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> /

Hauser, Birgitta wrote:
Hi Peter,

you have to overload your UDF.
That means you have to create a second UDF with the same name in the same
library, but without parameters.

create function UTLIB/ACCTGMONTH () returns integer language RPGLE parameter style GENERAL WITH NULLS not deterministic no SQL called on null input no external action external name 'UTLIB/SVCBUS(ACCTGMONTH)'

The new procedure gets its own signature and now can be called with or
without parameter.

Passing a NULL Parameter, does not mean the parameter is not passed, but a
NULL pointer is passed.

In RPG you'll use *OMIT to pass a NULL-Pointer-Parameter to an other
procedure.
In RPG you can check passed NULL-Pointers with ParmXYZ = *NULL.
If the parameter is optional and not passed, no pointer gets passed.
Checking a parameter that is not passed with = *NULL will cause a MCH3601
failure.
To check the number of parameter passed you'll use %Parms.
Note: Ommitted parameter are counted as passed!
Just an information for your RPG procedure.
I'd add OPTIONS(*NOPASS) to all optional parameters.
This allows you to check the number of passed parameters using %PARMS.

d AcctgMonth... d pr 10i 0 d amDate d const Options(*NoPass) d amDateNull 10i 0 Options(*NoPass) d amResultNull 10i 0 Options(*NoPass)

Birgitta

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
(Derek Bok)