Right now I can't get to an interactive session. Something is preventing Telnet from starting so the console now is my only hope. The only SRC I see is either A900 2000 or A600 5001 both of which (I think) are pointing to a need for a console.

I am going to see if I can find the ECS modem cable an give Ops Console a try.

Pete

Pat Barber wrote:

Assuming your system values are set correct, the system
"should" IPL correctly with or without the console.

QSCPFCONS --- IPL action with a console problem.

IF you are doing a cold start and "not" receiving any
SRC for a hardware failure, somthing really strange is
going on.

The system value for QSCPFCONS is defaulted to "1" which states
that the system should keep coming up with no console.

Is the system status 01 N  on the status screen ????

If the status is normal, you have lost the twinax card.

Pete Helgren wrote:
Still looking for my wrap plug so I can test the card but I am suspicious now of the card itself. Unfortunately I can't get the TCP or Telnet services to start so right now I am dead stick with this 170. Fortunately this is NOT a production box. On a whim, I dragged my little E02 out and connected the cable and console to it. It came up (after about 45 minutes). I get a signon screen and can log into it so I KNOW that the cable and terminal are A-OK. I re-seated the card in the 170 but no joy...

First question for anyone familiar with console issues on the list: Is there any configuration problem that would prevent the console from coming online at IPL? Somewhere in the bowels of this machine could there be a setting that is hosing up the console (I am currently IPL'ing from CD to try to eliminate any possibility of a config issue but...)

Question #2 : Any other ideas? This is really strange and if it is a hardware failure it is the first one I have experienced in the 10 or so years I have owned an AS/400 / iSeries / System i.

Question #3: The card is a 2720 (ESC and console) . Anybody have one of these laying around that I could borrow until I know for sure the one I have is toast? I'd like to try a replacement card and if it works I'll go to eBay and by a permanent replacement.

Thanks.

Pete Helgren