You want it to be reliable.
The voting machine is a very simple application, using windos for it is like using a steam shovel to dig in a flower pot. windos has a ton of functionality that you do not need, and is likely to cause trouble.

Walden H. Leverich wrote:

In other words what the voter gets out of the voting machine is not simply a reflection of what they put into the machine, rather it's downstream of the actual votes that were posted.

Sounds like a great idea to me... But I've got to ask... Why do you
believe this couldn't be done w/Microsoft? Seems to me to be a design
solution to the problem that could be implemented in any system that
supported transaction logs (and BTW, the only system I know that doesn't
_require_ them is the iSeries).

-Walden