Jon, don't worry about it.  Unless you are on an old version of OS/400,
"EXISTS(SELECT 1" and EXISTS(SELECT*" should give you the same results and
the same access plan.

SELECT 1 is an old optimizer trick DBA's use to limit the amount of data
returned to the satisfy the exists clause (thus limiting memory and I/O
usage).  However, nowadays, I find most RDBMS's properly identify EXISTS
clauses and perform just enough I/O to satisfy the  equality comparisons
only.

Ryan

"John Candidi" <jacandidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message news:00b601c65753$bc6dc390$560a0a0a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx