If this is not an upgrade but a new system, you can build the new system
from scratch.  You cannot restore user profiles or configuration.  But
if you create all the user profiles before you restore your user
libraries, you have a good chance of getting your applications and
security correct with little tweaking.  It all really depends on your
size and complexity of your environment.  I can build an authorization
server from scratch and have it running in four days.  Two user profiles
own and run everything, then I have to add the programmers.  Public is
Exclude, one group profile owns the files and programs and another
profile is granted access to run the applications, which run under
owner.

It takes another day or two to get the programmers the proper access.
This is a very simple one application client/server base system that
uses SNA for mirroring and remote communications.

If you can install and test, document what need to be changed, then
re-import the data and go.

Still much easier to upgrade to compatible OS, SAVE / RE-Load from tape,
test and document changes needed.  Then repeat when ready to switch
over.

Christopher Bipes
Information Services Director
CrossCheck, Inc.