I'm reading some posts here that are making me more interested in the
HMC...

I've thought of the HMC as mainly 'needed' for LPAR and capacity on demand
oriented stuff, but does it make that good of a console for more 'simple
systems?  Our setup in the near future will be 3 520s.  Our production box
is mainly DB2/Mimix oriented,  another box is Websphere/Domino, and a 3rd
box is the backup DB2, backup Websphere, and backup Domino box.  We have 2
in one location and the other about 1/2 mile or so distant out in our
plant.  Maybe I need to do more HMC reading with an open mind... when I
first read the basics it was brand new and greatly disliked. ;)

Who's using it out there WITHOUT being into LPAR and such?

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             03/29/2006 09:22                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Twinax?
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I agree that the HMC isn't so bad.  When it first came out it was a
festering piece of excrement.  Now, it's not so bad.  And the two hmc's,
one at one site and one at the other, and either one can control either i5
is not just theory.  We do it in practice.

Twinax sucks.  The reliability is poor.  The flexibility is poor.  Remote
access is nonexistent.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Jones, John \(US\)" <John.Jones@xxxxxxxxxx>
03/29/2006 08:38 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: Twinax?

Does a new i5/System I need twinax?  No.  For console connections, the
following have been available for years.
Twinax
Operations Console
LAN Console
Hardware Management Console (HMC)

I believe Ops or LAN console is on it's way out as a supported console,
but I don't recall which or if that's definite.

For an i5 or System i, the HMC is the only way to go.  Yes, that means
there's an Intel-based PC (but no Windows; it's a Linux appliance)
serving as the console.  So what.  It provides management facilities
that a dumb terminal can't.

- Remote console is built in.
- Remote power on/off.
- LPAR management & resource usage.  Includes scheduling of resource
movement.
- Help with hardware.  If you add a feature to your i5, the HMC will
walk you through the routine.  Complete with on-screen schematics.
Available even if you have to power down the i5.
- Doesn't have to be powered on except when the system is configured.
- Can manage multiple iSeries machines with one HMC.
- Can manage one iSeries with multiple (up to 2) HMCs.
- Can combine the above two.  You can put one HMC on your production
machine(s) and another on your DR machine(s) 1000 miles away and use
either HMC to manage both machines.

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.