Well,  If you load the CUM (or other group PTFs) from CD take option 8 from the
GO PTF menu.  Be sure to make sure Automatic IPL is N.  This will set (load &
apply) all the PTFs for the next IPL.  The next IPL the PTFs will be applied.

Device  . . . . . . . . .                Name, *SERVICE, *NONE

Automatic IPL . . . . . .   N            Y=Yes
                                         N=No

Prompt for media  . . . .   1            1=Single PTF volume set
                                         2=Multiple PTF volume sets
                                         3=Multiple volume sets and *SERVICE

Restart type  . . . . . .   *SYS         *SYS, *FULL

Other options . . . . . .   N            Y=Yes
                                         N=No

If they're already installed (downloaded from IBM via modem) but yet to be
loaded and applied then you can load them with option 8 as well.  But use
*SERVICE option as the Device.  It will also set (load & apply) them at the
next IPL.  Make sure again that Automatic IPL is N.

IBM Help
*SERVICE
    Specifies to install PTFs that you have received
    electronically from the service support system.

You can do them separately but that's problematic when you have Prerequisite or
corequisite PTFs and is very time consuming.

Hope this helps.

Ken H,