There is a feature in AS/400 security that I am not well versed in.
You can set some controls to let you know a hypothetical.

We are at security level XX but are considering moving to XX+10
The audit journal can tell you what actions were permitted at XX that would be blocked at XX+10. ie. XX lets users do stuff, but tells the security audit journal what you doing that needs fixing before you upgrade your security, to avoid this breaking.
I do not know if this feature can be used on other scenarios.

During a conversion, the consultants claimed they needed *ALLOBJ authority. We discovered that applications run under inappropriate authority can mess up our data base. In other words, when we took away the excess authority, we then had trouble accessing files and programs that had been created by people with the excess authority.

We use different sign-ons for different purposes.
An IT person can get called away from desk on short notice to deal with some situation. While gone, that person may be still signed on, and someone visit their desk and use their sign on. For this reason I am very careful that my normal sign on not have extraordinary access, I carefully sign off if I happen to be in some high security thing when called away from my desk, and then there is the issue of running an unattended backup. We not want normal crew to arrive next morning to find system signed on as master security officer, because a backup was started, then the operator went home. However, I have been known to go out to supper while a backup is running.

There is application software originally written eons ago that was fine then from security perspective, but security needs are a moving target. There are some 3rd party security services out there which have created security conversion to upgrade the security on popular old packages. For example, UPI has one to fix BPCS V4 security.

Al - I agree with everything you say ... Especially that *SAVSYS is an
authority required by an Operator in order to perform backups... I
inherited a system where the primary production application was
originally set up to run under an *ALLOBJ authority user! All the
application developers were *ALLOBJ users too! Over the years we have
made significant progress trimming that back to something more
reasonable. I just recently was able to remove *JOBCTL authority from
the users of this application. There were processes within the
application that started and stopped subsystems!

The question I'm trying to answer now is "Why do regular application
uses require *SAVSYS authority?" None of the developers in my shop can
answer that question. I need to understand that before I remove this
special authority from the application's group profile. I was hoping
that I could get information from the audit journal regarding this. It
looks like it isn't going to be that easy. I'll probably end up
recommending that we make the change, see what "breaks" and then address
each situation as it comes up.

Kenneth