If the software is for internal use only or is part of a very specialized
process, probably, if it affects how the users do their jobs, but that's up to
the organization.  If the sofware is going to be marketed and made generally
available to the user community, absolutely!!

  Back in May 2001, I was the Product Marketing Manager for PentaSafe's
VigilEnt Security Agent for iSeries (green-screen based tools that also ported
up to PentaSafe's enterprise security management console).  In concert with the
Development Manager/Director, a "customer council" was initiated to help us
scope out precisely what the new version of PS's RRM (Remote Request
Management) exit point product would look like.  Prior versions were rife with
problems and it was decided to dig in deep and swing for the fences with a
total re-write.

  Well, we brought more than 10 high profile users of the old version of RRM
from across the US and the UK to Houston for an overnight and all-day closed
door
session to find out exactly what they needed to have in an exit point security
management solution.  What followed was a well-directed beta program and
managed availability phase before the product went GA.

  Suffice it to say, anyone who has had any knowledge of the exit point program
market over the past few years and has evaluated the solutions objectively can
tell you that version 7.0 and later (now at 8.0) of PentaSafe's (now NetIQ)
PSSecure RRM module is THE most powerful and robust remote access management
tool out there.  It is truly a firewall for i5/OS and OS/400.  All because we
took the time to listen to what
the market demanded.

  Pentasafe is long gone and I don't work for NetIQ anymore, but I still
believe that the reason RRM is the best exit point solution is because of the
integral involvement of the user community in bringing it to market.

  PS - See y'all at COMMON.  I'll be doing a story on the upcoming V5R4
security enhancements for IT Jungle
(http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfhindex.html), so I will be wanting to talk to
anyone that has intimate knowledge of the security changes and/or has an
"opinion" to share!

  Best regards,

  Steven W. Martinson, CISSP, CISM
Consultant - Servique, LLC