I'm coming into this discussion late as I am the one who is actually
implementing this and got the secure FTP with Wells Fargo going in
production.  Rob has been keeping up on this discussion and informing me.
Thanks Rob!  Everything was setup exactly as they specified and even the
connection to port 21 as documented by them.  Everything works great with
the secure connection message before the logon, the logging on, and
transfer of files.  I was thinking that it works now in test so why
wouldn't it work when they put the certs into production?  Wells Fargo
explained that they want to scramble the password used for logging on as
the certificate does that.  They said that since we are in production and
logging on, they wouldn't do that yet but if we were to let the cert logon
for us, they would scramble the password.  Something about not allowing
unsecure connections.  At this point Wells Fargo is discussing with their
developers how they can get these digital certs into production.  I'm
disappointed to see that this seems to have never been done before easily
by anyone.  Our VPN with JPMorgan Chase is easy to program because the
tunnel is all done with hardware and no certificates that expire every
year.  The network guys don't think that is wonderful but at this point I
just want something that will work.  The network guy here said that the VPN
is not an option with Wells Fargo and thought secure FTP was the way to go.
So, that was what I did.  FTP stands for "File Transfer Protocol" and it
seems to be meant for transferring files, not browsing web pages.  The FTP
then "quit".  The receival script that is ready for production is "<userid>
<password>" then "mget <file*.txt>" then "ls <file*.txt> (disk" then "<del
<file*.txt>" then "quit".  I have the IFS list from that "ls" and process
the files in the list on our system.  Okay, fine, maybe I will have to give
up and resort to having them use Internet Explorer to manually get the
files from the https.
Does anyone have an example of doing puts, mgets, deletes and other similar
things with HTTPAPI, FTPAPI, or some other utility we don't have to pay
for?  I did install HTTPAPI on our development system and I don't see an
example that fits.  Any ideas?

Craig Strong

**Scott wrote:
- get IBM's ftp client to use "client certificates"
IBM doesn't officially support client certificates with their FTP client.
You can set one, but you can't change it on a per-server or per-user basis.
So once you've set a client certificate for the FTP client, it's used for
all secure FTP sessions to all servers and by all users!

- figure out if I want to use ftp api to do my own ftp client and figure
out how to support "client certificates" there
I've heard people say (on several occasions) that they were going to
contribute SSL support to FTPAPI, but as of yet, nobody has. I'd add it
myself, but I haven't had a business need for it, and I have a lot of
"real" work to do :)

- use the httpapi as others are doing.
By contrast, HTTPAPI does fully support SSL, and you can configure as many
different Digital Certificate Manager profiles as you like, each one with
it's own client certificate.