Thanks!  I will pass this on.

I appreciate the help.

Deb

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hauser, Birgitta
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 12:54 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: AW: SQL Select Statement in a Stored Procedure Question

Hi,

a stored procedure has no return value with the exception of result sets.
It's not possible to receive result sets in a Select-Statement.

If you want to retrieve a return value or a table in a SQL-Select-Statement
as you specified, you either have to create a User Defined Function (UDF) or
a User Defined Table Function (UDTF)

Example:
Create Function MySchema/MyUDF(ParmItemNo Integer)
       Returns VarChar(50)
       Language SQL
       Deterministic
       Reads    SQL DATA
       Returns NULL on NULL Input
       DisAllow PARALLEL
       Return (Select ItemDesc from MyTable where ItemNo = ParmItemNo)
;

An UDF can be used as follows:
select itemnum as ItemNum, MyUDF(itemNum) as ItemDescription
from db2table

An UDTF can be used as follows:
Select Fld1, Fld2 .... FldN
>From table(MyUDTF(Parm1, Parm2, ... ParmN)) as MyTable

Birgitta

"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance"
(Derek Bok)