From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:10 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Should users have a say in the software development
Re:Shouldusers have a say in the software development

<RANT>
In my opinion, the "real" problem is that the IT industry is, and always has
been, rife with unqualified and untrained people calling themselves
"professionals" and they often do a poor job, or worse. (I personally know
of several companies that have gone bankrupt as a direct result of the total
incompetence of their IT "consultants".) This tarnishes our collective
reputations, and may be one reason why Microsoft succeeds in selling the
idea that users can "do it for themselves" rather than relying on an IT
department in "the glass house" etc.

In reality, if we ever want our IT industry to be perceived as truly
"professional", like Doctors, Lawyers or Engineers, then we as an industry
need to require a certain level of professional education, plus some number
of years of "on-the-job" training (apprenticeship), followed by
"Certification" ... consider how engineers must attend 4 years of college,
and graduate with a BS degree, then work on the job for something like 7
years, and then must pass the Professional Engineers (PE) exam, before
becoming a fully licensed Engineer.  Similarly, Doctors or Lawyers must go
through seven years of college, plus some kind of internship, before
becoming licensed or certified to practice.  I think you should have to be
licensed to be practising in the field of "Software Engineering."

Today, most software developers, systems analysts and applications
programmers were never formally educated in software engineering, but in
some other field, and were trained "on-the-job" if at all. So, they build
software systems the way the Wright brothers built airplanes -- build it,
then push it off a cliff to see if it flies.

In the IT industry today, anyone can buy a PC and "cobble together" several
programs using whatever tools, and sell his/her "software" or services! And,
consider that, in many cases, software is now being used to control
mission-critical systems or make life-or-death decisions (such as HMOs using
software to decide whether a given patient deserves coverage for a given
treatment procedure recommended by his/her doctor).
</RANT>

The news is full of horror stories related to software failures that can
have devastating consequences.  See http://www.origsoft.com/nightmares.htm
for just a few examples.

From: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>