Our T1 line goes down all the time.

With our current configuration, you have to be physically at the AS/400 console to get on under that circumstance. From a connected PC (which can't get thru due to the T1 line being down) PING lets us know that that is the current situation.

There has been speculation here that we might use the ECS line for DR, and perhaps the ECS line could be connected via wireless, which makes me very nervous.

Normally the ECS line is used by tech support to get to us, but the idea is that perhaps it could also be used by our own IT staff from remote locations when the standard connection is down. It would be slow, single user. However, one of our former tech support places had a feature where.

1. Their people connected from wherever they are, to THEIR home site AS/400.
2. Their AS/400 had single connection 400 to 400 on ECS line.
3. Their people all over them map could simultaneously be in different parts of a group session on our AS/400. working on unrelated stuff.

Of course for this to work, you need access to another 400, or suitable emulation..

I would like you to consider as part of your DRP plan the following;
will there be a way to get in as a console operator?  If there is a
network error, either the network itself or if the Ethernet line on the
remote iSeries is down, how would you get to the machine to answer any
messages, investigate etc?

Regards,

Guy Henza
Tri-State Hospital Supply Corporation