James,

I'm going to jump on the "two structures are needed" bandwagon.

1) (key'd or searchable) structure to hold the request keys already seen
to check for duplicates.
2) FIFO structure to hold the request

Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if once a request with a certain
key comes in, the key is never deleted even after the request is
processed.

For example:
Request #1 comes in, generates request 4,7,9
Request #1 processed,
Request 4, generates request 3, 5
Request 4 processed
Request 7 processed
Request 9 processed
Request 3 generates 1, 15, 16

At this point, you don't put request #1 back on the FIFO queue since it
duplicates a request already seen.  At what point do you reset the keys
seen?  When the job is restarted?

This seems vaguely similar to the difficulties of traversing a
directories sub-tree when dealing with a file system that supports
symbolic, recursive links.

You may want to research that problem to see if there is anything that
would help you.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America