Kirk:

What probably happened to you was that you were on a System i5 machine
with "uncapped processors" and LOTS of unused CPU power in the processor
pool.  In that instance, you can "borrow" CPU cycles from other
partitions' allocations if you have your "virtual processors" number set
higher than the actual processor(s) you are assigned.  Since you must have
at least 0.10 processor assigned for each virtual processor you assign,
the most you can get is 1,000% (even if there are more processors still
idle) because i5/OS will only dispatch as many concurrent jobs as there
are virtual processors.

In your example, you were assigned 0.50 processing units and could,
therefore, assign up to 5 virtual processors (simultaneous threads
executing).  That would allow you to use 1,000% of the CPU you were
assigned.  If there were not enough idle CPU cycles in the processor pool,
you would have used less than 1,000% despite your assignment of virtual
processors.

Had you assigned 1 virtual processor with 0.50 processor units, you could
have gotten only to 200% CPU usage if there were otherwise-idle CPU cycles
(due to other partitions not using their full allocations).

There is a Red(something) - either a RedPaper of RedBook - I'm not sure
which it will become - that is currently being reviewed before publication
by IBM.  I am one of the authors and there is a rather complete treatise
on this topic in that writing.  The publication number has been assigned
as SG24-7174 and the current working title is "Automating Dynamic LPAR on
iSeries and System i5 utilizing APRM".  I hope it gets "out" soon - this
is not a well-known concept.

Dave Schnee,
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

------------------------------

message: 6
date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 06:43:27 -0800
from: Kirk Goins <kgoins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Giving more than 110%

When I was in LPAR class we drove a system to 1000% by running multiple
copies of SETI@HOME in PASE... The system doesn't have to be barrowing
CPU from anywhere for this to happen. When configuring and LPAR with an
HMC you tell the system how much CPU, say .5 of a CPU and you can then
say how many virtual processors you want. These are in .1 or 1/10th of a
cpu settings. So in my example here you can tell it anywhere from 1 to 5
virtual processors. If you tell it 1 virtual processor your
wrkactjob/wrksyssts etc will look normal and when you have used 100% of
that .5 cpu you gave it then it will show 100% on those screens. If you
chose to assign 5 virtual processors then it would show 500% when you
have maxed out the .5 of cpu.

Why would you set more than "1'" virtual processor? Some type of work
use lots of small chunks of cpu or that have lots threads, these "may"
benefit from multiple virtual processors...