> Why can't you correct the file contents?  You have an externally described
> file with corrupt data, and you want to leave it that way?

No, I don't want to, but I have to earn the right to change this things over
here.

I already alerted people of the problem, but until it escalates to the right
person, the problem is evaluated, and time is assigned to actually be
actually fixed some time may pass. I'd like to continue with my application
regardless.

I am still the new guy at the company, the youngest one around, and a most
obvious newbie at iSeries. I wasn't confronted with these 'old time' files
and programs until today.

>  1) Write a RPGLE program using FIXNMR(*INPUTPACKED) to process the file
> one

Again, time to show my newbieness. What's "FIXNMR"? Searched for it but
found no results.

>  2) Attach a trigger to the file using *BEFORE and *ALWREPCHG then have it

Sounds like a great idea. Whenever I am allowed to, I'll try to put in in
practice; or I'll pass it along to whomever takes care of it.

> However, for this to continue to occur, it implies the rogue program(s)
> are
> either using program-described files or file level checking has been

Program described files it is.

> Have you tried IS NOT NULL. I'm not sure if it would fix it but it's worth
> try...

Yes, it was one of my first ideas. It didn't work. :(

And neither did this:

> I would try derivations of the following.
>        HEX(ANOVTO) <> x'40404040' and ANOVTO >= 2006

> What happens if you create a view where ANOVTO is a character field?

I will give it a try today. Not feeling overly optimistic, but the idea
deserves a chance! :)

Best regards everybody,

I.-