midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   7. RE: RE: Tying in biometric scanning to 5250 sign on (Chris Bipes)
>
>I see you are right again.  It's the application that performs the 5250
>data stream manipulation.  Now how can I use SSO with a twinax terminal!
>;-) But is there a 5250 terminal that supports biometrics?  Ok we are
>moving away from them so I really don't need any.  Also we have removed
>90% of our twinax and have been using Ethernet thin clients with 5250
>emulation.  Now those could be updated to support biometrics and SSO I
>suppose.

Chris:

I haven't specifically looked at twin-ax as a player within SSO, so I'll need
to dig to see what shows up (_if_ anything; I work here but not much w/SSO).
However, this is a possible example of how secondary interactive subsystems and
named devices (or relevant exit points) can come into play.

A direct-attach twin-ax terminal isn't quite so vulnerable to password sniffing
via network hacking. It can be isolated into a subsystem that still displays
profile/password entry fields. This might be done via appropriate ADDWSE
commands.

And bypass-signon isn't exclusively tied to Kerberos/SSO. Technically, with the
"right" exit programming, it could use any means that _can_ be programmed
including not requiring nor relying on the entered profile/password at all
which can obviously bring serious security risks.

In general, there are three options that can help within "bypass-signon":

1. Telnet/TN5250x over SSL with encrypted connection,
2. TN5250E with password encryption, and
3. Telnet/TN5250x within a SSO framework where "password" isn't sent as part of
the connection.

(...where TN5250x can be just about any telnet that works; for SSO, it gets
limited. Note that OS/400's TELNET command parameters support TN5250E outbound
nowadays.)

Various combinations of subsystem definition, exit programs, routing programs
and configuration elements such as SSO enablement can be used to make any or
all of those work concurrently.

>From your perspective, it ought to be clear which elements you should use and
>how each should be used. But it likely isn't clear. Any significant security
>endeavor will be more complex than we would like.

We can mostly all get by with databases that are less than ideally defined. We
can get by (and prosper) with programs that haven't been written to the highest
standards and maintained with strictly controlled change-management and
compiled with all of the appropriate settings and optimized to the best
possible level. We can get by fine without system cleanup functions that
automatically remove every unneeded object and reclaim each stray byte.

But security... If a system is network accessible and it is holding or can
access critical company assets, those in charge of the security better be
better than anybody else who has access to the same network and they better
_implement_ accordingly.

In short, security just _can't_ be relegated to "it works good enough" status.
It isn't trivial nor easily mastered, especially when there are important
elements that aren't widely publicized if published at all (aside perhaps from
possible 'Integrity problem' PTFs once in a while).

For AS/400s, iSeries or i5s in a Windows network, the issue mushrooms
dramatically. (Not to mention bits of the UNIX world that have been touched
here and there.)

<vendor plug - you knew there had to be one>

If you haven't already, contact an iSeries/i5 SSO solutions vendor. At the
least, get a dialog going and see if there are tools that can help to examine
your system and network to find out something of the scope that needs to be
addressed. ( http://www.powertech.com ) Sales guys can be an irritant, but they
can also be a resource when they're hungry.

</vendor plug>

Tom Liotta