John,

The virtual tape itself doesn't support compression.

However, I can force OS/400 to handle the compression by doing
USEOPTBLK(*NO) DTACPR(*YES) COMPACT(*NO).

During my tests, having OS/400 handle compression took 56% longer than
without (a 22.4GB library in 297s vs. 465s).

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343
fax: 513-398-1121