From: midrange-l-bounces+debbiekelemen=hotmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces+debbiekelemen=hotmail.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Bipes
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 4:17 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Strange DASD Utilization Issue

Stop people from querying your database on non keyed fields.  Temporary
access path, temporary copies of partial data are the two biggest uses
of temporary space.  You will see a max and a current temporary space in
wrksyssts.  How much DASD do you have?  Large % jumps generally happen
on low space machines.  If you have something like 4x17GB drives raid 5,
that is around 50 GB usable and 5% is only 2.5GB.  Where as a larger
DASD pool such as our 637 GB usable, 5% = 31.8 GB not so easy for temp
storage to use.

Christopher Bipes
Information Services Director
CrossCheck, Inc.