> -----Original Message-----
> From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jones, John (US)
> Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 11:35 AM
> To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
> Subject: RE: Determine bottlenecks during backup
>
> What kind of tape drive?

It's actually a virtual tape subsystem from Cybernetics.  The iSeries
sees it as a SCSI attached 3580, but the data is actually going to a
RAID array of 400GB SATA drives.

> The SCSI interface in this case is very likely not the
> bottleneck; I've
> got 5702s that are doing about 275MB/s (compressed) with LTO3 drives.
> That leaves the potential bottlenecks as:
>
> 1. Tape drive.  If LTO2 or LTO3, this should not be the bottleneck
> unless the drive is malfunctioning or dirty.

According to the specs, the virtual tape drive should be able to handle
200MB/s

> 2. System bus.  Could be the problem.  Where is bus 28?  If not in the
> CEC, what type of tower?  I had LTO2 drives on our former
> 830; one on a
> controller in the CEC and one in a migration tower (a former
> 720 frame).
> The drive on the controller in the CEC was significantly faster (more
> than 2x) than the drive in the tower even though the drives themselves
> were identical.

Bus 28 is in a 5088 sitting on top of a 5094.

> 3. System (CPU/RAM).  This is probably not the bottleneck unless the
> partition is RAM-constrained.

System has 4GB RAM, the partition in question is using 3GB.

> 4. Disk subsystem.

I believe this is covered in the original post.

> 5. Object type.  Fewer-but-larger objects will save faster
> than lots of
> small objects.  The more objects there are the higher the system
> overhead.

127,426 objects average size 1,230,907 bytes  (excluding one >
9,999,999,999)

(Why can't I find a median function in SQL?)

> 6. Save type.  Turn on compression for the non-SAVSYS pieces;
> you've got
> plenty of CPU to handle it.

I'll look at this also.

> Also, try to figure out which part of the 21 is taking a lot of time.
> Is it IFS, NONSYS, SAVSYS, etc.?  Easiest way is to look at
> the job log
> afterwards and look at the timestamps.

SAVSYS: 9min
SAVLIB *NONSYS: 64 min