Well, than could all of us here say we know each other...just in case :o)

  That was my experience when I was job hunting. I got the impression  from the
interviews that as a female, I had no business trying to take  a man's job from
the hiring pesonnel's buddy. One interviewer (the  superintendant of the school
system), who should have known better,  kept telling me that the IT job only
started at 16 per hour, but the  janitors start at 18. I had seen the list of
the test scores: I beat  all the men (I was the only woman trying for the job)
all the written  tests on computer parts id, multiple choice Windows and Mac op
and  networking systems. Of all the interviews, that one rankled my hide the
most.

  Then I found an ad for this little company in northwest Iowa (after 2  years
of searching for a job) that interviewed and hired me the same  day.

  Only trouble is now I have to tell the Iowa side of the Minnesota/Iowa
jokes...but I absolutely refuse to support the Kansas City Chiefs.  Good, bad
or ugly, I bleed purple and gold.

Jim Franz <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:  (for me) it's still who you know....
I see jobs get filled by someone
recommending someone else - not by job listings and web posting boards.
To put it bluntly, that's a cr** shoot way to hire. The job listings go up
when contacts don't find the right person. I would agree
the days of a 'warm body coder' are about gone. You need to really know
some particular app or certain niche skill, especially for telecomute. I've
been
telecomuting for over 7 years and contract/consulting for decades before
that,
and it has always been who & what you know.
Many companies will not lead with telecommute, but if your the right
person & skillset for the job, they may very well consider it (especially if
you ask for relocation expenses if not a telecommute).
jim franz