midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 02/16/2006 12:03:47 PM:

> On 2/16/06, Fleming, Greg (ED) <GFLEMING@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is anyone out there using change management software and controlling
> > service program signatures by using binder source ?
> >
> > As far as I can tell from previous discussions I've had on this list
> > (whose moderator happens to work for MKS, who sells the Implementer
> > product we use for change management), Implementer will automatically
> > recompile all objects related to my service program when I promote it.
> >

> All the programs and service programs that call into a service
> program?  or all the modules that the service program is created from?
>  or both?
>
> I know that Turnover does not know where a procedure is used so when a
> service program is promoted Turnover does not recreate all the
> programs that call into that service program.

Actually, TurnOver does have a full cross reference down to the procedure
level and has for years.  It is not used in determining what to recompile
however.  Like apparently Implementer does it, we take the safe approach.
If you are promoting a changed service program we will want to re-bind
every program and service program that uses it.  That being said, we do
provide UI you can use where we will show you a list of what we want to
recompile and let you specify what you want and do not want.  So if you
really want to be selective, you can be.  I suspect it would take most
people longer to specify what they wanted then it would have taken their
system to rebind those objects.  Of course there are exceptions.  I know
we have some customers that have a couple of common service programs that
are used by hundreds, if not thousands of other objects.  In those cases,
you can just not run the automatic cross reference and be done with it.

Mark

Scanned for SoftLanding Systems, Inc. and SoftLanding Europe Plc by IBM Email
Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.