These are save files for superseded PTF's, in case you need to remove
the latest one.  That's why they go away when you perm apply the PTF's.
I had not perm applied PTF's before upgrading since V3R2 (when it was a
necessity!) and last year I found that library QSYSDIR was full of
these.

I deleted all of the ones that were not for current LPP's and saw no
adverse effects.  If you happen to delete save files associated with
current PTF's you may find yourself unable to apply superseding PTF's.
In this case you'll have to reapply the first PTF and work your way up
the chain.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator