Rob--

AFAIK, the SAVF (Save Files) are the downloaded PTFs from IBM. You then LODPTF specifying the name of the save file in the command, then APYPTF to install the patch.

After you have loaded and applied the PTFs, the SAVFs are essentially trash and may be deleted.

Applying the PTFs permanently or not will not affect the SAVFs (unless IBM has added a cleanup process I'm not aware of).

When you apply PTFs from a later release or a later cumulative package it automatically includes any PTFs that the system needs; you don't need to apply PTFs from previous releases. If a newer PTF supercedes an existing PTF, the existing PTF is automatically installed *PERM before the newer PTF is installed (*temp or *perm, depending on what option you selected).

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I fail to permanently apply ptf's prior to an upgrade I believe that it
leaves the temp stuff around for all perpetuity.  And once I've upgraded
to the new release it is too late to permanently apply the ptf's from the
earlier release.  For example look at these objects in QHTTPSVR:
Object      Object    Object      Creation
            Type      Attribute   Date
QSF56133J1  *FILE     SAVF         042299
QSF56133J2  *FILE     SAVF         042299
QSF56133J3  *FILE     SAVF         042299
QSI04133J3  *FILE     SAVF         050202
QSI04134J1  *FILE     SAVF         050202
QSI04273J2  *FILE     SAVF         043002
QSI05385J1  *FILE     SAVF         071802

The change date on all of these is equal to our last unload/reload. Think,
it has been many releases ago since there was any SF* ptf's for the
standard set of LPP's.  Don't let yourself fall into this morass.  Apply
your ptf's permanently prior to any upgrade.  Yes, it may mean an extra
IPL on a weekend when you least have the time.